that whole updating all my social networks took a long time... [5:43 pm]
Over the years I've been using various social networks here and there, but for the most part I've been posting my content directly to this site, eecue.com. I spent a few hours today going through all my profiles and updating my bio, tags, links and whatnot. Here is what I updated my bio to:
Dave Bullock / eecue is the offspring of a photographer and a programmer. He has been sifting through bits on the internet since he was young and along the way has taught himself programming, UNIX and photography. Dave is a frequent contributor to WIRED News and a member of the San Bernardino Sheriff's Search and Rescue Team. When he's not shooting photos of geeky stuff around Los Angeles, you can usually find him crawling through a cave, out in the desert or rescuing a wayward hiker.
And here is my one liner:
Programmer / Photographer / Admin / Human
And my tags:
programming, photography, downtown los angeles, los angeles, cooking, desert, search and rescue, SAR, electronics, ham radio, microcontrollers, hacking, computer security, wired, photojournalism, hiking
Here is the daunting list of social networking sites I have profiles on, along with a short description of what it is all about. [If you want to join a site that is invite only, let me know and I'll make with an invite]:
- 43 Things - A fun list sharing sit for goals.
- Bebo - Bebo is a blogging site, they really need to add RSS importing though.
- Blip TV - A social video site, which allows you to upload content in HD with no size limit. I use it for both my personal movies and D2LA footage.
- Delicious - This is a social bookmarking site. I've been using Delicious frequently, and their site posts my links to eecue.com on a daily basis.
- Digg - Digg is a great social news site, the only problem is that the more friends you have the slower the site loads. SQL optimization time guys!
- Dopplr - Dopplr is a pretty cool social travel site with very a simple feature-set and interface.
- Facebook - Facebook is currently the best social network IMHO. It has plenty of great features. Some of the application invites get really annoying, but they recently added a feature to ignore certain apps.
- Good Reads - GR is a reading list / book list sharing site. My next project is to catalog the hundreds of books I own and upload them to GR and Library Thing.
- Jaiku - Jaiku is a pretty cool social aggregation site. Although, it seems to have some RSS importing issues right now.
- JungleScene - JS is a site I run about drum'n'bass and jungle in Los Angeles. It's a fairly active forum site that I started in 1999.
- Last.FM - Last FM is social music site. I haven't installed the app yet, but I will soon.
- Library Thing - LT is another book list social site.
- LinkedIn - Linkedin is a social network for professionals. I have my resume up there, although I'm not currently seeking employment.
- MeFi - Metafilter is an old school social new site. I've been a member for some time now, but I actually rarely use it anymore. I'll have to check back more often.
- Ning - Ning is a site creation platform that you can use to build a complete internet community. I wish they would allow you to use 5 character site / user names!
- Tribe.net - Tribe is a social networking site that some of my hacker friends used. I never really did much with it.
- Pownce - Pownce is another social network site that you upload files, photos and text to.
- Xanga - A blogging platform. I'm not sure about this one, will probably kill my account at some point.
- My Yahoo Profile - Not really a social networking site, but yahoo does allow for a profile.
- Reddit - Reddit is a cool and simple social news site. Full-disclosure: I am a frequent contributor to WIRED News who's parent company owns Reddit.
- Slashdot - I used to spend a lot of time on Slashdot, but I mostly just use digg now and my RSS reader. I do still subscribe to an RSS feed from Slashdot.
- StumbleUpon - SU is one of my new addictions, I can seriously waste hours finding new and cool sites by hitting the stumble button. Unfortunately it only works in Firefox and I've been using Safari since the Leopard updates.
- Tailrank - Tailrank is a meme aggregator. You feed it an OPML file and it give you a listing of what people are talking about that day.
- Technorati - Technorati is a massive blog aggregator and link tracker.
- Twitter - Twitter is a great little site for posting short thoughts online. It's like instant messaging that all your friends can see.
- Upcoming - Upcoming is a social calendaring site.
- Vox - Vox is a blogging platform, but also includes cool RSS aggregation features as well as linking to your other social profiles.
- YouTube - I've only uploaded a couple movies to YouTube, but one of them has over 100,000 views. I need to get an ultracompact digicam that has better video capabilities and use it more often!
- Virb - This is a cool site for artists and musicians.
- Myspace - Totally forgot I had this. I updated my profile, but I don't have any friends. =]
- Blogger - I've actually had this page since 2002, but I've always just used my own software for blogging. I updated the page with my RSS feed and profile.
- Naymz : I can't tell if this is really a legit service, but it seems cool enough. Could just be a personal detail data mining site.
- Yelp - I've been meaning to use Yelp more often.
- ClaimID - This seems like an interesting aggregator, will have to set it up with my other sites.
- Mugshot - A social network aggregator that may actually be useful.
- Profilactive - Another aggregator.
- Ziki - YASNR
- Uber - forgot about this one as well.
- Wink - Seems like an interesting social contact site.
- LiveJournal - I totally forgot I had this.
- MyBlogLog - I also forgot I had signed up for this.
- Deviant Art - I'm going to upload some of my better photos to here at some point
- Tumblr - Another microfeed site. I think I'm going to write a tool to post to every one of my social sites at once.
- Twitxr - Scott Beale set this up today so I figured I'd give it a try.
- Buzznet - I uploaded a few photos here once... someday maybe more.
- Friend Feed - Another social feed aggregator.
updating my mess of social networking profiles [12:48 pm]
I just updated to MarsEdit 2 from version 1. It has some great new features including the ability to post to your blog in draft form. Finally!
Dublin is doing it, step up to the plate Los Angeles! I can see that fixing out city's budget deficit.